The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is a leading scientific and technology research organisation that researches, develops, localises and diffuses technologies to accelerate socio-economic prosperity in South Africa. The organisation’s work contributes to industrial development and supports a capable state.
About the job:The CSIR has a vacancy for General Assistant in the Facilities Management and Security Services (FM&SS) portfolio. The incumbent will be responsible performing semi-skilled multiple repair and maintenance tasks as well as assisting with carrying out planned and breakdown maintenance, refurbishments and new installations. This role also involves carrying out preventative maintenance tasks on buildings, systems, equipment and ancillary areas. This position is based in Pretoria.
- Assist Artisans and Handyman in carrying out planned maintenance and repairs to CSIR sites, buildings, plant and equipment;
- Perform minor electrical works to include but not limited to the following: replacing light bulbs and tubes and preventative maintenance inspections;
- Perform electrical tasks under the supervision of the Artisan, such tasks to include but not limited to the following: Installation and replacement of light fittings; installation/replacement of electrical plugs; electrical wiring;
- Perform minor air conditioning works to include but not limited to the following: preventative maintenance inspections and cleaning of filters; cleaning air conditioner outside units.
- Perform air-conditioning and refrigeration tasks under the supervision of the Artisan, such tasks to include but not limited to the following: Installation and replacement of air conditioners; re-gassing, general repairs;
- Perform general building maintenance works to include but not limited to the following: painting; flooring; furniture; blinds; mounting white boards and pictures; doors, door systems and locks; cleaning roofs; and preventative maintenance inspections.
- Perform general facilities duties to include but not limited to the following: general housekeeping in all areas of work; cleaning of work sites and vehicles used by the section; attend to personnel visiting the site such as contractors;
- Carry out other general duties within the section and assist clients with minor requests as may be assigned by the Supervisor from time to time including but not limited to: Put up warning signs, help with setting up temporary structure (scaffolding, etc);
- Handle various equipment (drills/ grinders) including using power tools and machinery when needed;
- Report issues experienced with equipment or unsafe conditions.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A Grade twelve certificate with at least two years’ experience in a technical / maintenance environment;
- Good knowledge of maintenance and Facilities management;
- Knowledge and experienced in Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) and statutory compliance in workshop environment.
- Code 8 driver’s License with medical clearance certificate
Closing date: 15 August 2021
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
For more info, please email us at [email protected] Please do-not send applications to this mailbox, it is for enquiries only.
The CSIR is an equal opportunity employer. As such, it is committed to the employment Equity Act and will through the filling of this vacancy, give preference to candidates from designated groups in terms of the Employment Equity Act. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from registered credit bureau and/or South African Police Services (in relation to positions that requires trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances), and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualification and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right to remove the advertisement at any time before the stated closing date and it further reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.